GEMS — Girls Empowered by Math and Science — is a math and science academy for girls in grades 6-10. GEMS is sponsored by
WSSU with support Time Warner Cable, Inc. and the
Black Philanthropy Initiative This program is designed to:
- accelerate academic achievement in science, math, and technology;
- increase interest in science, mathematics, technology, and education; and
- increase the amount of females choosing to enter the fields of science, mathematics, technology, and education.
GEMS is divided into two programs:
Each student will engage in numerous hours of academic enrichment in mathematics, science, and technology. The core curriculum has been developed by WSSU faculty in alignment with the North Carolina Middle School Mathematics and Science Standard Course of Study for middle and high school topics such as; nursing, sustainable engineering, global economic, biology, and algebra. Some of the activities will include:
- Exciting hands-on activities with the use of cutting-edge technology
- A campus tour
- Presentations about college
- Informal learning experiences
- And much, much more...